Registration is required for this course, and you must create an account with the Alliance for Child Welfare Excellence. Click here to register.
This 6-hour in-service training for caregivers provides a foundation for caregiving and behavior management for children in out-of-home care who struggle with physically aggressive behaviors. Participants will explore the potential impacts of trauma and maltreatment on attachment, behavior and development as well as the risk factors for violent behavior in children. Participants will closely review the newest Washington Administrative Code (WAC) related to discipline and will contrast principles of positive discipline and punishment.
Skill building will focus on:
- creating a plan to prevent a crisis;
- the various forms aggression may take;
- how to look for signs of when a child is agitated or escalating;
- how to intervene during a crisis;
- how to manage ongoing or explosive aggressive behaviors via teaching coping skills and Collaborative Problem Solving.
Local resources and supports for the youth as well as the caregiver are discussed.